Let the baby weight battle begin

Considering the fact I was asked several times during pregnancy “Twins?” (and once triplets?) it goes without saying I enjoyed the “eating what I want” part of it all. I did have some pretty bad swelling which didn’t help. When I stepped on the scale before delivering the number put me at + 75 lbs. It’s been three weeks since that day and I’m starting to feel okay enough to exercise a little. I’ve also broken a personal record: 3 weeks without enjoying one of my favorite filet-o-fish. Because I’m breastfeeding I can’t really diet but what I have done is cut out the fast food and sugar intake. I’m trying not to freak out that I still have 50 pounds to go. They say it takes longer with the second baby. I think part of it is your SO tired from caring for the first. Feel free to share what worked for you!

Delivery day

3 weeks later and all that was worth it

Adora keeps me motivated

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

42 Responses to “Let the baby weight battle begin”

1. Rosalie says:

Don’t worry Angie, you will lose the weight especially with two little ones to care for. I had a 9 pound baby and gained 35 pounds. I am only 5’2 so that was a lot of weight to carry around. Now my baby is a man and has two kids of his own. Enjoy those beautiful kids. You look gorgeous…….

2. Hi, Angie! I gained 70 lbs. when I was pregnant, and because I didn’t breastfeed, the weight hung around for months after I gave birth. I exercised hard, once I was cleared by the doctor, but the weight was still coming off in very small bits. I decided to really focus on eating clean, and I committed myself to competing in a bodybuilding competition. I started working out, eating a pre-contest diet, and posing (I got quite a few laughs for that at the gym). But, ten months after my baby boy was born, I was on stage! You are gorgeous, amazing, and so smart! You will be just fine! Just focus on being the great mom I know that you are! Thanks for posting this!

• admin says:

Wow! What a great story you have! Thank you for the inspiration. I’m trying to take it day by day… But it can be discouraging. It’s good stories like this that keep me motivated. Thank you for sharing!

3. tricia says:

You’re good at dropping it! You looked great after Adora! 🙂 I think you are pretty right now!!!

4. Chaz Robertson says:

My son is now 12 and I still haven’t lost all the weight I gained during his Mother’s pregnancy. But I am still working on it.
    Try weak green tea. Some of it may be water weight.

5. Valerie Irons says:

Angie,
    I would recommend researching breastfeeding while following a Paleo “lifestyle”. I would not refer to it as a diet because you don’t deprive yourself. It’s basically a very healthy way to eat that has benefits beyond weight loss. In a nutshell, you eat frutis, veggies, protein and eliminate gluten, sugar, dairy and artificial sweetners. I have been eating this way for a few months now and I feel fabulous. I think the dairy and gluten were really taking a toll on me. I hope you’re enjoying your maternity leave and some quality time with Bob and Adora! You look gorgeous as always!

Love,
    Val

• admin says:

Hey hot mama! You always look fab. I heard cutting out the gluten makes a world of difference. I’ve considered it. I’m gonna google Paleo today. thank you so much!

6. Nikki says:

Angie- with my first baby (10yrs ago, goodness) I too gained +65lbs. I ate and ATE:). Thankfully since then I’ve had a great career as a dance & fitness instructor. Thru my experiences and the ones I’ve helped & encouraged… It will be a steady climb back. Little accomplishments every 2 weeks… Tweaks to your lifestyle… Will make it a reachable evolution. Make it fun for you and the kids. Don’t feel obligated, feel excited. Fighting to fit into some b4 body pair of jeans (nah)… Think about being a stronger & healthier woman. That’s bad a$$;). It will happen… It already has. Xoxo

• admin says:

Don’t feel obligated, feel excited! Now that’s some good advice Nikki. Thanks! Stronger and healthier– that’s something to motivate me. I really think it’s changing your mindset that can also make a difference. Gracias!

7. Becky says:

Hi Angie. Both of my “babies” (now 33 and 28 years old) were over nine pound babies. PLUS I was a gestational diabetic with the second pregnancy. So, those blood sugar issues PERSISTED after giving birth and I was a MESS. Not only did I experience the weight gain, but the accompanying mood swings, lack of energy/motivation, cravings, migraine headaches, joint & muscle pain. Other than that, I was “just fine”! I started on my wellness plan, lost the weight & all those health issues, began helping others; still here 18 years later.

• admin says:

hey.. they’re ALWAYS your babies right Becky! Thanks so much for reaching out. I’ll definitely let you know if I’m gonna do “a plan”. Right now I’m just doing moderate exercise and lowering calorie intake. Hopefully that’s a good start!

• Becky says:

Yep, they never leave your heart, no matter the age. : ) Yep, you’re off to a great start! I am here as a resource for you. Be Well!

8. Michelle says:

Don’t stress about the weight, Angie!! I was 4’11, gained 60 lbs., and didn’t nurse after my second little girl. I decided to eat healthy and exercise. The exercise included weights and running. Running was the best. I put both girls in a running stroller and turned it into a morning routine. It was our time together. My oldest (7) still ask when I am going to take them running in the stroller again! haha! You look great now and I’m sure you will continue to stay healthy! Love how Adora works out with you! 😉

• admin says:

Michelle.. well that is inspiring! I can’t imagine you at 60+ pounds at that height! I’m sure you were so adorable. Yes, I need to get the jogging stroller out soon. Adora would love that too!

9. Alexa says:

Angie,

I got the twins comment SO often. Around the time of the shower you threw me, I was starting to swell as well. I was +50lbs when I went in, and only lost 17 lbs when I got home from the hospital (seriously?! Where was this magical way the weight would fall off and leave me with only 15 or so pounds to go people spoke of?!) At 12 weeks post pardum, I started Weight Watchers, and it has really worked for me.

• Alexa says:

OK, I was not done with that comment, but accidentally hit “submit comment.”

Anyway… Weight Watchers takes into account calories for nursing if you are doing that, and is easy to use with the app on your phone. I highly recommend it.

I also picked out a race to be a goal, so I had to workout and keep my butt moving, even on days I didn’t want to. I did a half marathon six months and one day after my C Section, and although the last two miles nearly killed me, it was worth it. The cardio to train helped me lose a lot of the belly fat and extra cushion for the pushin’ on my hip area. Even a race like a 5K or 10K could be great (Ben is currently doing the couch to 5K program through an app on his phone and enjoying it).

It was hard to go from, “I deserve a cookie, I’m pregnant (or two, or three),” attitude, to a, “I deserve to be healthy and fit in my old clothes again and not feel like I’m sucking in for my dear life all day” attitude. I still have a few pounds to go to hit my “before” weight, as I was being very strict on my eating and working out when I got pregnant, but I feel good now, and it’s made it all worth it!

Don’t be too hard on yourself though, it took nine months to get there.

10. ShaRhonda says:

Angie I’m so with you! I gave birth to a baby boy just 6 weeks ago. My doctor just gave me my walking papers and I’m ready shed those pounds.

11. Alexa says:

Also, I highly recommend the Jillian’s 30 day shred video. 20 minutes, and kicks your butt with three different levels. Great to do during naps!

• admin says:

Um I just got her ARM workout!! Good to know it pushes you. BTW you LOOKED amazing at your shower brunch. I thought you carried your baby weight so well. I’m jealous. BTW I signed up for the MCM in OCt– that may be a bit ambitious! Hope to see you soon! xo

12. Mary McLean says:

Hi Angie,
    I can’t say enough good things about Mommy Bootcamp! Kathy Corbey and her fabulous instructors will get you back into shape in no time (www.mommybootcamp.org). Between that and Tony Passos Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which is located right nearby (www.tonypassosbjj.com), I was able to lose all the baby weight AND get my abs back within a few months of having twins–no joke!

• admin says:

You look SOO fab!! I need to get my b*tt to Kathy’s class!! As soon as I can move good again I hope to! Jiu Jitsu– wow that is impressive. Not sure if I’m tough enough ha!

13. Kylee says:

I think you’re gorgeous and have an adorable family, Angie. I’m 21 weeks pregnant with my first child and am having the same worries! I’m 5’10 and have gained 14 lbs so far, but am worried by the end of it I’ll be much, much larger. I’ve been trying to workout moderately and not cave into my indulgences too frequently, but I feel like I just swell one way or another. When did you really see the weight gain? I’d love to hear what post-baby routines worked for other women too.

• admin says:

Kylee! Congrats on your pregnancy first off! I started blowing up (and swelling at 5-6 months in with this pregnancy, my second. I started packing on the pounds faster during the 7 month. It’s easy to “let go” towards the end. On my facebook page a lot of people have given some great advice I may try too. Cutting dairy, gluten, sugar is maybe one of them! Weight Watchers seems to be a recurring theme from readers too. I would keep working out and drink lots of water. Only eat when hungry– I made the mistake and ate when bored! Good luck!

• LRichKing says:

Eating when ‘hungry’ is as bad if not worse than eating when ‘bored’.
        If you feel hungry before you eat your body has already gone into a survival mode and will prefer to store the food rather than use it.
        Determine how long it takes to feel hungry then subtract an hour, use this to plan the timing of 4-6 small meals throughout the day. Try to adjust each meal to equal parts of your total daily calorie, etc intake.

• admin says:

I had never heard that! It makes sense though. Great advice there! Little snack would definitely help between meals. Thanks so much for chiming in!

14. Kevin says:

Guys don’t gain baby weight, but we do have to deal with dropping extra pounds now and then. Just remember that you’re probably going to worry about it more than anyone else around you, so remember to give yourself a break sometimes. The mental part can be as daunting as the physical.

There’s no doubt you’ll exceed whatever goal you’ve set.

15. Nicole M. says:

Hi Angie, after doing this 3 times in 4.5 years I have learned that time and eating in moderation is what works. My suggestion is don’t kill yourself with working out or dieting, limit the obvious junk food, breatfeed (burns an extra 500 calories per day), heal and take care of your little ones. After your hormones go back to normal by the 5th month you will likely have 10-15 pounds left to lose which is much more manageable, its all about nursing, Getting sleep and drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day. You are so beautiful, take care!!

• admin says:

Nicole.. that’s great advice. I have to remember it didn’t happen overnight! I think you forget everything after your first child LOL!

16. Sarah says:

Angie – As others have said: it’s ALL about watching what goes in your mouth! If you’re eating whole, unprocessed food you can pretty much eat whatever you want and the weight will fall in place. Your body wants to get back to its *usual* weight and shape… help it along a bit and it will get there.

Good Luck!

17. Renee says:

Angie, you look great so whatever you’ve been doing has clearly worked. Can you please share what “plan” you are on if any. Any other tips would be appreciated. I gained 60 pounds during my pregnancy and I am still struggling one year later.

• admin says:

Renee!
      Thanks for the follow up and sweet compliment. You’ve inspired me to write a blog on it so stay tuned. I’ll do a follow up on the progress and what I’m finding is working!! Hang in there– I know how tough it is after baby. It’s been a struggle!!

18. Shelley says:

Angie…I’ve watched you glow with both pregnancies and redeem yourself after. So what if you don’t loose all the weight after this baby? Does that mean that you are not beautiful? Does that mean that you are any less attractive to the man you bore those children with? Does that mean that your children love you any more or any less? Set a good example for those kids. Live right, eat well and relish life! Be the beauty you are and are meant to be weight or no weight. If you are healthy and you feel good about yourself, don’t let anyone else take that from you. Today’s society puts way too much emphasis on being super thin…God created us all in different shapes, sizes, colors and backgrounds and each one of us are beautiful in our own way, regardless of our shape, size, color or background.

Just be you and just be healthy!

Here’s to good health!

19. womens bodybuilding…

Let the baby weight battle begin | OhMyGoff…